Cape Town is renowned for its stunning scenery, unique culture, and history. One of the most exciting ways to experience the city’s beauty is from the air. Helicopter rides in Cape Town have become increasingly popular, offering visitors a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the city’s landscapes from an entirely different perspective. Here’s everything you need to know about helicopter rides in Cape Town.
Table of Contents
The Best Time for Helicopter Rides in Cape Town
The best time to enjoy a helicopter ride in Cape Town is during the summer months from October to April. This is the time when the weather is warm, and the skies are clear, providing the perfect conditions for a scenic flight. However, helicopter rides are available throughout the year, and the scenery is always breathtaking, no matter the season.
Types of Helicopter Rides
There are various types of helicopter rides available in Cape Town, depending on your interests and budget. Some of the most popular types of helicopter rides include:
- Full Peninsula Helicopter Tour: This is a 50-minute flight that takes you over the rugged coastline of the Cape Peninsula, past Cape Point, and back to the city. This package also includes a Sunset Catamaran Cruise on the house.
- Winelands Scenic Flight: There are multiple flights provided to fly above the Cape Winelands, where you can enjoy stunning views of vineyards, mountains, and valleys. The pilot will drop you off at your chosen Cape Wineland destination and fetch you after 3 hours of wining and dining. The Winelands Scenic Flights include Babylonstoren Wine Estate, Boschendal, Creation Wine Estate, De Grendel Wine Estate and much more!
- Two Oceans Helicopter Tour: This is a 25-minute flight that takes you over the city centre, where you can see iconic landmarks such as Table Mountain, Lion’s Head, and the V&A Waterfront. This flight includes a Catamaran Cruise on the house.
- Atlantico Helicopter Tour: This is a 20-minute flight that takes you over the most popular beaches in Cape Town, where you can see the meeting point of the two oceans. This flight will head from the V&A Waterfront to Hout Bay before heading back on the same route.
- The Hopper Helicopter Flight: This is a 12-minute flight that will show you the sandy beaches as well as Cape Town Stadium. This option is for the best views of the Atlantic Seaboard beaches.
- The 12 Apostles Helicopter Tour: This is a 16-minute flight that shows you the best views of the 12 Apostles and the natural wonders of the iconic Table Mountain. Take in the stunning views of the city and the sandy beaches that Cape Town has to offer.
- Robben Island Helicopter Tour: This is a 20-minute flight that shows you the amazing view of the historical landmark of Robben Island. Take in this mesmerising island but keep in mind that the helicopter is not permitted to land on Robben Island.
Safety Measures for Helicopter Rides
Safety is a top priority for helicopter ride operators in Cape Town. All pilots are licensed and experienced, and the helicopters are regularly maintained and inspected. Before taking off, passengers are given a safety briefing and provided with life jackets and headsets. It’s essential to follow all instructions given by the pilot and crew to ensure a safe and enjoyable flight.
Costs of Helicopter Rides in Cape Town
The cost of a helicopter ride in Cape Town varies depending on the duration of the flight and the type of experience. A 25-minute flight over the city bowl starts at around R3850 per person, while a longer 50-minute scenic Cape Point flight can cost up to R7500 per person. Private charters can range per hour, depending on the type of helicopter and the number of passengers.
Tips for a Memorable Helicopter Ride
To make the most of your helicopter ride in Cape Town, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Dress comfortably: Wear comfortable clothing and shoes as you’ll be sitting in a helicopter for a while.
- Bring a camera: Don’t forget to bring a camera to capture the stunning views from above.
- Choose the right time: Try to book your helicopter ride in the morning or late afternoon to avoid the midday heat and ensure the best lighting for photos.
- Get there before take-off: It is best to check in at the spot where take-off will take place, 30 minutes before departure.
- Book in advance: Helicopter rides in Cape Town can get busy, so it’s best to book in advance to secure your spot.
- Relax and enjoy: Finally, remember to relax and enjoy the experience. A helicopter ride in Cape Town is an unforgettable experience you’ll cherish forever.
A helicopter ride in Cape Town is an exhilarating and unforgettable experience that offers a unique perspective on the city’s stunning landscapes. Whether you’re looking for a romantic sunset flight or an adventure-filled shark cage diving experience, there’s a helicopter ride for everyone in Cape Town. With safety as a top priority, experienced pilots, and well-maintained helicopters, you’re guaranteed a safe and enjoyable flight. So, book your helicopter ride in Cape Town today and experience the beauty of this city from a whole new angle.
Book a flight: https://www.helicopterscapetown.co.za/