Seal boat island trips are a popular activity for visitors to Cape Town, offering a unique opportunity to see seals in their natural habitat and explore the stunning coastal scenery of the Cape Peninsula. There are several tour companies in Cape Town that offer a seal island boat trip, each with its own unique features and offerings.
Table of Contents
Whether you’re interested in a budget-friendly trip, a luxury excursion, or a specialized trip that combines seal-watching with other activities like snorkelling or whale-watching, there’s a tour company in Cape Town that can provide the experience you’re looking for.
Best Companies for Seal Boat Trips in Cape Town
Hout Bay Seal Island Cruise
The Hout Bay Seal Island Cruise is one of the most popular seal-watching tours in Cape Town, offering a 40-minute boat ride to Duiker Island, a small rocky outcrop that’s home to a colony of Cape fur seals. The tour departs from the Hout Bay harbour and includes commentary from knowledgeable guides, as well as stunning views of the Hout Bay coastline and the surrounding mountains.
Address: 81 Harbour Rd, Hout Bay Harbour, Cape Town, 7806
Phone: 082 552 2904
Cape Town Water Bikes
Cape Town Water Bikes offers a unique twist on the traditional seal boat tour, with visitors pedalling their way on specially designed water bikes to see the seals up close. The tour includes a stop at Seal Island, as well as the opportunity to see dolphins, penguins, and other marine life along the way.
Address: Simon’s Town Jetty, 1 Wharf St, Simon’s Town, Cape Town, 7975
Phone: 083 777 1048
Cape Town Bucket List
Cape Town Bucket List offers a range of specialized tours that combine seal-watching with other activities like snorkelling, kayaking, and whale-watching. Their Seal Snorkelling Tour takes visitors to Duiker Island to swim with the seals, while their Seal Kayaking Tour offers a more active way to explore the coastline and see the wildlife.
Address: Harbour Rd, Hout Bay Harbour, Cape Town, 7806
Phone: 082 497 8797
Ocean Experiences is a leading tour operator in Cape Town that offers a range of seal island boat trips from the Waterfront, as well as other water-based activities like surfing, paddleboarding, and jet skiing. Their Seal Snorkelling Tour takes visitors to Seal Island Cape Town to swim with the seals, while their Marine Wildlife Tour offers the chance to see dolphins, whales, and other marine life.
Address: Shop 8, Quay 5, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8002
Phone: 021 418 2870
Tips for Taking a Seal Boat Tour in Cape Town
If you’re planning on taking a seal boat tour in Cape Town, here are some tips to help you make the most of your experience:
- Dress for the weather: The weather can be unpredictable in Cape Town, so it’s important to dress in layers and bring rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a camera: You’ll want to capture the stunning scenery and the up-close views of the seals, so be sure to bring a camera with plenty of memory and battery life.
- Listen to the guide: The guides on seal boat tours are knowledgeable and passionate about the wildlife and the area, so be sure to listen to their commentary and ask questions if you have any.
- Be respectful of the wildlife: It’s important to observe the seals from a safe distance and not disturb their natural behaviour.
- Book in advance: Seal boat tours in Cape Town can fill up quickly, especially during peak season, so it’s important to book in advance to ensure availability.
Safety Precautions to Take when Going on a Seal Boat Trip
- Wear appropriate clothing and gear: Dress appropriately for the trip by wearing comfortable clothing, a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Consider bringing a windbreaker or waterproof jacket, as the weather on the ocean can change quickly. Non-slip shoes are also recommended to ensure stability on the boat.
- Stay seated and hold on during the boat ride: Once onboard, make sure to remain seated and hold onto railings or other secure handholds. The boat ride to Seal Island can be bumpy at times due to ocean conditions, so it’s important to maintain your balance and prevent any potential accidents or falls.
- Keep a safe distance from the seals: While it’s exciting to observe the seals in their natural habitat, it is important to maintain a safe distance from them. Follow the instructions provided by the crew regarding the appropriate distance to keep from the animals to ensure their safety and minimize any potential disturbances.
- Avoid feeding or touching the seals: Do not attempt to feed or touch the seals during the trip. Feeding them can disrupt their natural feeding habits and potentially harm their health. Touching them can also be dangerous as they are wild animals and may react unpredictably.
- Be mindful of your surroundings: Pay attention to your surroundings throughout the trip, both on the boat and on the island. Be cautious of any potential hazards such as slippery surfaces, waves, or other wildlife in the area. Follow the guidance of the crew to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Listen to the crew in case of emergency: In the event of an emergency, listen carefully to the instructions given by the crew. They are trained to handle various situations and will guide you on what actions to take to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Take seasickness precautions if necessary: If you are prone to seasickness, consider taking appropriate medication or using remedies recommended by your doctor before the trip. It’s important to be prepared and minimize any discomfort or potential risks associated with seasickness.
Seal island boat tours in Cape Town offer a unique and unforgettable experience for visitors to South Africa. Whether you’re interested in a budget-friendly tour or a luxury excursion, there’s a tour company in Cape Town that can provide the experience you’re looking for. If you’re planning a trip to Cape Town, be sure to book seal boat island tours and experience the magic of these amazing animals for yourself.
Interested in Other Tours?
Embark on an unforgettable voyage with Nauticat Charters in Cape Town. Sail the ocean, explore hidden coves, and witness breathtaking views of Table Mountain. Choose from sunset cruises, and luxury cruises, and create lifelong memories on the stunning Cape Town coastline.