Nestled in the scenic Noordhoek Valley, just a stone’s throw away from the pristine beaches of Cape Town lies a hidden gem known as Noordhoek Farm Village. This quaint village offers a unique and memorable experience for visitors, with its blend of history, natural beauty, culinary delights, and family-friendly activities.
Table of Contents
History of Noordhoek Farm Village
Noordhoek Farm Village has a rich history that dates back to the 18th century. Originally settled by Dutch farmers, the area was known for its fertile land and agricultural activities. The village’s name, “Noordhoek,” which means “north corner” in Dutch, was derived from its location at the northern end of the long, sandy Noordhoek Beach. Over the years, the village grew and evolved, with various changes in ownership and land usage.
In the early 20th century, the land was subdivided into smaller plots, and some of the original farmhouses were converted into guesthouses and shops. However, it wasn’t until the late 1990s that Noordhoek Farm Village as it is known today began to take shape. In 1998, a group of local entrepreneurs embarked on a project to transform the old farmstead into a vibrant village centre that would preserve the area’s rural character while offering a unique experience for visitors.
With careful planning and restoration, the dilapidated farm buildings were revitalized, and the village started to take shape with its distinctive Cape Dutch architecture and a focus on local artisans and businesses. Since then, Noordhoek Farm Village has become a beloved destination for locals and tourists alike, offering a blend of history, culture, and modern amenities in a picturesque setting.
Attractions at Noordhoek Farm Village
Noordhoek Farm Village is a charming destination that offers a diverse range of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. From culinary delights to family-friendly fun, here are some of the highlights:
- Culinary Delights – Noordhoek Farm Village is a food lover’s paradise, with a variety of dining options that cater to different tastes and preferences. From farm-to-table restaurants to artisanal bakeries and coffee shops, there is something for everyone. Visitors can indulge in delicious farm-fresh food, organic produce, homemade treats, and local wines, showcasing the best of Cape Town’s culinary scene.
- Shopping and Artisans – The village is home to an array of shops and boutiques, offering a diverse selection of locally made crafts, clothing, jewellery, and other unique items. Visitors can browse through the shops and stalls to find one-of-a-kind souvenirs or gifts to take home. Many of the artisans at Noordhoek Farm Village are passionate about their craft and are happy to share their stories and knowledge with visitors.
- Family-Friendly Activities – Noordhoek Farm Village is a great destination for families, with a range of activities that cater to all ages. Kids can enjoy pony rides, play areas, and petting zoos, while adults can relax and unwind in the peaceful surroundings. The village also hosts regular family-friendly events, such as outdoor movie nights, art and craft markets, and live music performances, making it a fun and entertaining destination for the whole family.
- Art and Culture – Noordhoek Farm Village is also a hub for local art and culture. The village is home to several art galleries, showcasing the works of local artists and artisans. Visitors can explore the various exhibits, attend art workshops or even meet the artists in person to learn about their creative process. The village also hosts cultural events and performances, providing a glimpse into the rich heritage and traditions of the area.
- Outdoor Adventures – The location of Noordhoek Farm Village offers ample opportunities for outdoor adventures. Visitors can take a leisurely stroll or hike in the nearby nature reserves and forests, or enjoy horseback riding on the scenic trails. Noordhoek Beach, which is just a short drive away, is perfect for long walks, picnics, or even surfing for the more adventurous. The surrounding natural beauty provides a breathtaking backdrop for outdoor enthusiasts to explore and enjoy.
- Relaxation and Wellness – Noordhoek Farm Village is also a haven for relaxation and wellness. The village boasts several spa and wellness centres where visitors can indulge in rejuvenating treatments, yoga classes, and other wellness activities. The peaceful and serene surroundings of the village make it an ideal place to unwind, destress, and focus on one’s well-being.
- Events and Festivals – Noordhoek Farm Village hosts a variety of events and festivals throughout the year, adding to its vibrant and lively atmosphere. From food and wine festivals to art exhibitions, live music performances, and seasonal celebrations, there is always something happening in the village. These events provide a unique opportunity for visitors to immerse themselves in the local culture and experience the community spirit of Noordhoek Farm Village.
Restaurants and Cafes
- The Foodbarn – This award-winning restaurant is a highlight of Noordhoek Farm Village, offering a unique dining experience. Led by renowned chef Franck Dangereux, The Foodbarn features a seasonal and locally inspired menu that focuses on fresh, organic ingredients sourced from local farmers. With its cosy ambience and delectable dishes, The Foodbarn is a must-visit for those seeking a gourmet dining experience.
Address: Noordhoek Farm Village, Village Ln, Cape Town, 7979
Phone: 021 789 1390
- Café Roux – Known for its laid-back vibe and delicious food, Café Roux is a popular spot for brunch, lunch, and dinner. The menu features a range of wholesome and flavorful dishes, from classic breakfast options to mouthwatering burgers, pizzas, and seafood. With its indoor and outdoor seating options, live music performances, and friendly atmosphere, Café Roux is a go-to spot for a casual and enjoyable meal.
Address: Chapmans Peak Dr, Noordhoek, Cape Town, 7979
Phone: 021 789 2538
- The Toad in the Village – This gastropub-style eatery is a local favourite, known for its warm and welcoming ambience and hearty comfort food. The menu at The Toad in the Village offers a range of pub classics with a modern twist, including burgers, steaks, pizzas, and craft beers. The cosy fireplace and outdoor seating make it a perfect spot for a relaxed meal with friends and family.
Address: Village Ln & Noordhoek Mani rd, Noordhoek, Cape Town, 7979
Phone: 021 789 2973
- Village Sushi – For sushi lovers, Village Sushi is a must-visit spot at Noordhoek Farm Village. This trendy eatery serves up a variety of fresh and delicious sushi rolls, sashimi, and other Japanese-inspired dishes. With its sleek and modern interior, Village Sushi offers a stylish and contemporary dining experience.
Address: Noordhoek, Cape Town, 7945
Phone: 021 789 2760
Preserving the Charm and Sustainability
One of the unique aspects of Noordhoek Farm Village is its commitment to preserving its rural charm and promoting sustainability. The village has taken measures to ensure that its development is in harmony with the natural environment and local community. Many of the buildings in the village have been restored using sustainable materials, and efforts have been made to minimize the ecological impact of the village.
Noordhoek Farm Village also supports local artisans, farmers, and businesses, promoting the concept of “local is lekker”, which emphasizes the use of locally sourced products and supports the local economy. This sustainable approach not only adds to the unique character of the village but also contributes to the overall well-being of the community and the surrounding environment.
Location of Noordhoek Farm Village
Noordhoek Farm Village is located in the suburb of Noordhoek, nestled between the slopes of the Silvermine Mountains and the shores of the Atlantic Ocean, on the western coast of the Cape Peninsula in Cape Town, South Africa. The village is approximately 35 kilometres south of the Cape Town city centre, and it can be easily accessed via the scenic Chapman’s Peak Drive or the Ou Kaapse Weg.
The village is ideally situated in a picturesque valley, surrounded by lush greenery and natural beauty. Its location provides stunning views of the surrounding mountains, the nearby Noordhoek Beach, and the vast ocean beyond. The serene and tranquil setting of Noordhoek Farm Village makes it a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, while still being within easy reach of Cape Town’s attractions and amenities.
Noordhoek Farm Village is a hidden gem in the Cape Town area, offering a unique blend of history, culture, and modern amenities in a picturesque setting. Its charming Cape Dutch architecture, a diverse range of attractions, commitment to sustainability, and community spirit make it a must-visit destination for locals and tourists alike. Whether it’s indulging in culinary delights, exploring local art and culture, enjoying outdoor adventures, or simply relaxing and unwinding, Noordhoek Farm Village has something to offer everyone. So, next time you find yourself in Cape Town, make sure to take a trip to Noordhoek Farm Village and experience the magic of this quaint and vibrant village.