Beau Constantia is a boutique wine farm situated on the slopes of Constantia Nek, overlooking the breathtaking views of Cape Town. This beautiful estate is renowned for producing some of the finest wines in South Africa, and it has quickly become one of the must-visit destinations for wine lovers from all over the world.
Table of Contents
Beau Constantia is located on Constantia Nek, one of the highest points in the Constantia Valley. The estate is situated between Table Mountain and Constantiaberg, which makes it the ideal location for producing premium wines. The farm itself dates back to the early 1700s, and it was originally used as a wine and fruit farm.
In 2002, the current owners, the Alheit family, purchased the property to create a premium boutique wine farm. They began by restoring the old homestead and replanting the vineyards. Today, Beau Constantia is one of the most beautiful wine farms in Cape Town, and it has won numerous awards for its wines.
Beau Constantia Wines
Beau Constantia is renowned for producing some of the finest wines in South Africa. The estate has a small but focused portfolio of wines that showcase the unique terroir of the Constantia Valley. These are the wines that are produced:
- Beau Constantia Cecily Viognier – The Cecily Viognier is a white wine made from 100% Viognier grapes. It is a full-bodied wine with a rich, creamy texture and aromas of apricot, peach, and honey. The wine is fermented and aged in French oak barrels for 11 months, which gives it a subtle vanilla and toasty oak flavour.
- Beau Constantia Pas de Nom – Pas de Nom is a white blend made from Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon grapes. It is a crisp, refreshing wine with flavours of lemon, lime, and green apple. The wine is fermented in stainless steel tanks and aged on the lees for six months, which gives it a creamy texture.
- Beau Constantia Lucca – Lucca is a red blend made from Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Petit Verdot grapes. It is a medium-bodied wine with flavours of black cherry, plum, and vanilla. The wine is aged for 18 months in French oak barrels, which gives it a smooth and velvety texture.
- Beau Constantia Aidan – Aidan is a red blend made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Petit Verdot grapes. It is a full-bodied wine with flavours of blackcurrant, blackberry, and dark chocolate. The wine is aged for 18 months in French oak barrels, which gives it a complex and elegant flavour.
Beau Constantia has a beautiful tasting room where visitors can sample their wines while enjoying the stunning views of Cape Town. The tasting room is open seven days a week from 10 am to 4:30 pm, and tastings are by appointment only.
The tasting room can accommodate up to 16 people, and it is the perfect place to enjoy a leisurely afternoon with friends and family. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly, and they will guide you through the wine-tasting experience.
The Chef’s Warehouse
Beau Constantia also has a world-class restaurant that serves delicious food paired with its wines. The Chef’s Warehouse is run by Chef Liam Tomlin, who is renowned for his innovative cuisine. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, and it offers a range of dishes that are perfect for sharing.
The menu at Chef’s Warehouse changes regularly, but some of the signature dishes include:
- Tuna Tataki with Pickled Ginger, Ponzu, and Cor
- Beef Tartare with Parmesan, Quail Egg, and Capers
- Grilled Prawns with Garlic Butter, Lemon, and Parsley
- Pork Belly with Apple Puree, Fennel, and Mustard Jus
- Chocolate Nemesis with Salted Caramel and Hazelnuts
The restaurant also offers a vegetarian-tasting menu, as well as a range of dishes for those with dietary restrictions. The food at Chef’s Warehouse is a perfect complement to the wines produced at Beau Constantia, and it is an experience that should not be missed.
Beau Constantia is the perfect venue for weddings, corporate events, and private functions. The estate has a beautiful event space that can accommodate up to 100 guests, and the staff at Beau Constantia will work with you to create a bespoke event that suits your needs.
The estate has hosted numerous weddings, and it is a popular venue for those looking for a picturesque setting for their special day. The team will work with you to create a tailored wedding package that includes everything from the ceremony to the reception.
Beau Constantia also hosts corporate events and private functions. The estate has a range of spaces that can be used for meetings, team-building activities, and other events. The team will work with you to create a tailored package that meets your needs.
How to Find Beau Constantia
To get to Beau Constantia, a boutique wine farm situated at the top of Constantia Nek in Cape Town, there are several transportation options available. If you are driving, you can take the scenic route via Constantia Main Road, and the farm is located at 1043 Constantia Main Road. It is approximately a 25-minute drive from the centre of Cape Town. You can also use rideshare services or taxi services to reach the destination. Public transportation options include taking a bus or a combination of bus and taxi to reach Constantia Nek, from where you can walk up to Beau Constantia. The picturesque journey offers stunning views of False Bay and the surrounding mountain ranges.
Beau Constantia is a must-visit destination for wine lovers visiting Cape Town. The estate’s stunning location, award-winning wines, and world-class restaurant make it a destination that should not be missed. Whether you are looking for a leisurely afternoon of wine tasting, a romantic dinner, or a bespoke event, Beau Constantia has something for everyone.
- Q – How much is wine tasting at Beau Constantia?
A – Pricing for wine tastings at Beau Constantia can vary. It is recommended to visit their official website or contact them directly for the most up-to-date information on wine-tasting prices.
- Q – Who owns Beau Constantia?
A – Beau Constantia is owned by a wine-farming family. For specific details about the current ownership, it is advisable to refer to official sources or contact Beau Constantia directly for accurate information.
- Q – What is the oldest wine farm in Cape Town?
A – Groot Constantia is recognized as the oldest wine farm in Cape Town. It has a rich history dating back to 1685 and is known for producing exceptional wines.
- Q – What is Klein Constantia famous for?
A – Klein Constantia is renowned for its production of the world-famous dessert wine called Vin de Constance. This wine has a long and storied history, and it is highly regarded for its unique and exquisite flavours.
- Q – When is Beau Constantia open?
A – Do you need to book in advance to visit Beau Constantia?
The opening hours of Beau Constantia may vary, so it is recommended to check their official website or contact them directly for their current operating hours. As for booking in advance, it is advisable to make a reservation, especially during peak seasons or if you plan to visit for specific events or activities.