Discover Cape Town with its stunning natural scenery, rich culture and history, and a vibrant atmosphere with the Red Bus, Cape Town Tour. There are many ways to experience the city, but one of the most popular and enjoyable ways is on the Red Bus, also known as the Sightseeing Bus. This iconic open-top bus offers a unique perspective of Cape Town, taking visitors on a tour of the city’s top attractions, landmarks, and hidden gems.
Table of Contents
History of the Red Bus
The Red Bus was first introduced in Cape Town in 2001, with the aim of providing tourists with a convenient and affordable way to explore the city. The company behind the bus, City Sightseeing, started in Seville, Spain, in 1999, and has since expanded to over 100 cities worldwide. Today, the Red Bus is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Cape Town, with thousands of visitors hopping on board every day.
Features of the Red Bus, Cape Town Tour
The Red Bus is a bright red, double-decker bus with an open top, allowing passengers to enjoy unobstructed views of the city. The bus has a number of features designed to make the tour as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, including:
Audio commentary: Each bus has an audio guide available in multiple languages, providing informative and entertaining commentary about the city’s history, landmarks, and attractions. The audio guide is synchronized with the bus’s GPS system, so passengers can be sure they are seeing exactly what the guide is talking about.
Hop-on, hop-off: The Red Bus operates on a hop-on, hop-off basis, meaning passengers can get off the bus at any of the designated stops, explore the area at their leisure, and then catch the next bus to continue their tour. This allows visitors to customize their tour to suit their interests and schedule.
Multiple routes: The Red Bus offers multiple routes covering different areas of the city, including the City Tour, the Mini Peninsula Tour, and the Downtown Tour. Each route takes approximately two hours to complete, and buses run every 20-30 minutes, so passengers never have to wait long to continue their tour.
Discounts and deals: The Red Bus offers a range of discounts and deals, including discounted rates for children, seniors, and students, as well as combo tickets that include admission to popular attractions like Table Mountain and the Two Oceans Aquarium.
Top Attractions on the Red Bus, Cape Town Tour
The Red Bus tour covers many of Cape Town’s top attractions, landmarks, and hidden gems. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Table Mountain: No trip to Cape Town is complete without a visit to Table Mountain, one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature. The Red Bus offers a convenient way to get to the mountain, with a stop at the Lower Cableway Station. From there, visitors can take the cable car to the top of the mountain for breathtaking views of the city and surrounding landscape.
- Victoria & Alfred Waterfront: The V&A Waterfront is a popular destination for shopping, dining, and entertainment, with a wide range of shops, restaurants, and attractions. The Red Bus has a stop at the waterfront, allowing visitors to explore at their leisure.
- Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens: The Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens are a must-see for nature lovers, with over 7,000 species of plants from around the world. The Red Bus has a stop at the gardens, and visitors can spend as much time as they like exploring the beautiful grounds and trails.
- Camps Bay: Camps Bay is one of the most popular beaches in Cape Town, with crystal clear water and a stunning backdrop of mountains. The Red Bus stops at Camps Bay, allowing passengers to take a dip in the ocean, relax on the beach, or grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants and cafes.
- Bo-Kaap: The colourful neighborhood of Bo-Kaap is a vibrant and lively area that is steeped in history and culture. The Red Bus has a stop in Bo-Kaap, and visitors can explore the colorful streets and learn about the area’s unique heritage.
- Robben Island: Robben Island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was once a prison where Nelson Mandela was held captive for 18 years. The Sightseeing Bus offers a combo ticket that includes a ferry to Robben Island and a guided tour of the island, providing a fascinating insight into South Africa’s history and struggle for democracy.
These are just a few of the top attractions on the Red Bus. There are many more stops and sights to discover likeOudekraal Beach. Passengers can hop on and off the bus as many times as they like to explore at their own pace.
Why Choose the Sightseeing Bus?
There are many reasons to choose the Red Bus for your Cape Town adventure. Here are just a few:
- Convenient: The Red Bus is a convenient and hassle-free way to explore Cape Town, with multiple routes covering all the top attractions and landmarks.
- Comfortable: The open-top design of the bus provides unobstructed views of the city, and the audio commentary provides informative and entertaining insights into the city’s history and culture.
- Flexible: The hop-on, hop-off system allows passengers to customize their tour to suit their interests and schedule, making it a great option for families, couples, and solo travellers.
- Affordable: The Red Bus offers great value for money, with combo tickets and discounts available for children, seniors, and students.
- Eco-friendly: The Red Bus is an eco-friendly way to explore the city, with low-emission buses and a commitment to sustainable tourism.
The Red Bus is an excellent way to explore the vibrant city of Cape Town. With its convenient routes, comfortable buses, informative commentary, and affordable prices, it is a great option for visitors of all ages and interests. So hop on board and discover the beauty and history of Cape Town on the Red Bus!
Phone: 021 511 6000