Oranjezicht City Farm Market is a popular farmers’ market in Cape Town, South Africa, that offers fresh produce, artisanal foods, and handmade crafts from local vendors. The market is located at the historic Granger Bay site of the V&A Waterfront. With its focus on sustainability and community, the market has become a beloved gathering place for locals and tourists alike. We will explore the history, mission, and offerings of the market in detail.
Table of Contents
Oranjezicht City Farm Market
Oranjezicht Market, Cape Town was established in 2012 as a way to bring fresh, locally grown produce to Cape Town residents. The market was the brainchild of Sheryl Ozinsky, who had a vision of creating a community-oriented farmers’ market that would support small-scale farmers and artisanal food producers. Ozinsky had previously founded the Oranjezicht City Farmers Market, a non-profit organization that promotes urban agriculture and sustainable living in Cape Town, and the market was a natural extension of her work.
The first Oranjezicht City Farm Market was held in the courtyard of the historic Oranjezicht Farmhouse, which is now the site of the Oranjezicht City Farm. The market quickly gained popularity and outgrew its original location. In 2015, it moved to its current site at Granger Bay, where it has continued to thrive.
Mission and Values of Oranjezicht City Farm Market
The mission of the market is to promote sustainable living and support local farmers and food producers. The market is committed to providing high-quality, fresh, and locally sourced produce, as well as a range of artisanal food products and handmade crafts. By connecting consumers with small-scale farmers and producers, the market aims to create a more sustainable and equitable food system.
One of the core values is community. This market is a gathering place for people of all ages and backgrounds, and it fosters a sense of connection and belonging among its vendors and patrons. The market also values sustainability, both in terms of the products it offers and the way it operates. All vendors at the market must adhere to strict sustainability standards, and the market itself is committed to reducing waste and minimizing its environmental impact.
Products and Vendors
Oranjezicht City Farm Market offers a wide range of products, including fresh produce, artisanal foods, and handmade crafts. Some of the most popular products in the market include:
- Fresh produce: The market offers a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, including seasonal produce that is grown locally. Many of the vendors at the market are small-scale farmers who use sustainable farming practices.
- Artisanal foods: In addition to fresh produce, the market features a range of artisanal food products, such as bread, cheese, charcuterie, honey, and preserves. Many of these products are made by hand using traditional methods and high-quality ingredients.
- Handmade crafts: The market also features a range of handmade crafts, such as jewellery, clothing, and home decor items. Many of these products are made by local artisans and are one-of-a-kind.
All vendors must meet strict sustainability standards. They must use environmentally friendly packaging, avoid the use of single-use plastics, and minimize waste. Many vendors also prioritize ethical and fair trade practices, ensuring that their products are made in a socially responsible way.
The market also features a rotating roster of guest vendors. These vendors offer unique products that are not available at the regular market, such as speciality cheeses, tropical fruits, and handmade crafts from other regions of South Africa.
Events and Activities at Oranjezicht City Farm Market
The market also hosts a range of events and activities throughout the year. Some of the most popular events at the market include:
- Live music at Oranjezicht Market: The market features live music performances by local musicians, adding to the festive and community-oriented atmosphere.
- Cooking demonstrations at Oranjezicht City: The market hosts regular cooking demonstrations and workshops, where visitors can learn how to prepare fresh, healthy meals using the products available at the market.
- Children’s activities at Oranjezicht City: The market offers a range of activities for children, including face painting, storytelling, and crafts. These activities help to create a family-friendly environment and encourage children to learn about sustainable living and healthy eating.
- Oranjezicht Market Tours: Visitors can also take a tour of the Oranjezicht City Farm, which is located adjacent to the market site. The farm is an urban agriculture project that promotes sustainable farming practices and provides fresh produce for the market.
Sustainability Practices at Oranjezicht City Farm Market
Sustainability is a core value of Oranjezicht City Farm Market, and the market takes several measures to reduce its environmental impact. Some of the sustainability practices in the market include:
- Waste reduction: The market encourages vendors and visitors to minimize waste by using reusable bags and containers, and by avoiding single-use plastics. The market also has a composting program and a recycling station to ensure that waste is disposed of in a responsible way.
- Local sourcing: The market prioritizes locally sourced products, which helps to reduce the carbon footprint associated with transportation and supports local farmers and producers.
- Water conservation: The market uses water-efficient irrigation systems and promotes water conservation practices among its vendors and visitors.
- Energy efficiency: The market uses energy-efficient lighting and encourages vendors to use renewable energy sources.
Oranjezicht Market Opening Hours (2023)
Oranjezicht Market, operates on the weekends, providing a delightful experience for locals and visitors alike. On Sundays, the market welcomes early risers, opening its doors promptly at 8:15 am and continuing until 2 pm, allowing ample time to explore the vibrant stalls and indulge in the culinary delights on offer.
On Saturdays, the market opens slightly later at 9 am but remains open until 2 pm, ensuring a fantastic weekend experience for all. However, it’s important to note that Oranjezicht Market is closed every other day of the week, so be sure to plan your visit accordingly and make the most of the wonderful weekend offerings.
Community Impact of Oranjezicht City Farm Market
The market has had a significant impact on the local community. By promoting sustainable living and supporting local farmers and food producers, the market has helped to create a more equitable and resilient food system. The market has also become a beloved gathering place for people of all ages and backgrounds, fostering a sense of community and connection.
Oranjezicht City Farm Market has also received recognition on a national and international level. In 2019, the market was named the best market in Africa by the International Market Council, and in 2020, it was listed as one of the top 10 markets in the world by National Geographic.
Oranjezicht City Farm Market is a vibrant and community-oriented farmers’ market in Cape Town, South Africa. With its focus on sustainability, local sourcing, and community, the market has become a beloved gathering place for locals and tourists alike. Through its commitment to supporting local farmers and food producers, promoting sustainable living, and fostering a sense of connection and belonging, Oranjezicht City Farm Market has become an important institution in Cape Town and beyond.
- Q – Is Oranjezicht Market open on a Wednesday?
A – No, Oranjezicht Market is closed on Wednesdays. It operates exclusively on Saturdays and Sundays, offering a vibrant experience over the weekend.
- Q – Where is Oranjezicht Market located?
A – Oranjezicht Market is located in Cape Town, South Africa. The exact address is Haul Road, Granger Bay Blvd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, providing a convenient and accessible location for locals and tourists to enjoy the market’s offerings.
- Q – Can I visit Oranjezicht Market during the week?
A – No, Oranjezicht Market is only open on Saturdays and Sundays. It remains closed on all other days, so plan your visit accordingly to enjoy the market’s offerings.
- Q – Is there an entrance fee to enter Oranjezicht Market?
A – No, there is no entrance fee to visit Oranjezicht Market. You can freely explore the market, browse the stalls, and indulge in various food and artisanal products without any charges.