Newlands is a picturesque suburb situated in the Southern suburbs of Cape Town. It is well known for its beautiful scenery, lush greenery, and stunning architecture. The suburb is home to a variety of different landmarks, activities and events, making it a popular destination for both locals and tourists. Let us delve into the history of this suburb, explore its attractions, and discover what makes it such a special place.
Table of Contents
The area was established in the early 1800s and was originally a farm that was owned by a man named Charles Freeman. In the mid-1800s, Freeman sold the land to a businessman named James Innes. Innes subdivided the land and sold it off to wealthy residents who were attracted to the beautiful scenery and peaceful surroundings.
The suburb continued to grow over the years, with more and more people moving to the area. Today, it is a thriving community that is home to a diverse range of people from all walks of life.
Attractions in Newlands
Newlands is a suburb that is rich in attractions, from natural wonders to cultural hotspots. Here are some of the top attractions that you can explore when you visit Newlands:
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden – Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden is a must-see attraction. It is one of the most beautiful gardens in the world and is home to an incredible array of flora and fauna. The garden is a haven for nature lovers. You can explore the garden on foot or take a guided tour to learn more about the plants and animals that call it home.
- Newlands Forest – Newlands Forest is a stunning natural wonder that is perfect for a leisurely stroll or a more strenuous hike. The forest covers a large area and is home to a variety of different plant and animal species. There are several walking trails that you can follow, each offering a unique perspective on the forest and its surroundings.
- Newlands Cricket Ground – Newlands Cricket Ground is a famous cricket stadium that has been hosting matches for over 150 years. It is one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the world and is a popular destination for cricket enthusiasts. The stadium has a capacity of over 25,000 spectators and has hosted many famous matches over the years.
- Montebello Design Centre – The Montebello Design Centre is a unique attraction that showcases the work of local artists and designers. The centre is housed in a historic building that dates back to the early 1900s and is home to a variety of different art galleries, workshops, and boutiques. You can browse the various exhibits and purchase one-of-a-kind pieces to take home as a memento of your visit.
Address: 31 Newlands Ave, Newlands, Cape Town, 7700
Phone: 021 685 6445
- Josephine Mill – The Josephine Mill is a historic landmark that dates back to the early 1800s. It is a beautifully preserved water mill that was used to grind wheat into flour. The mill is open to visitors and you can take a guided tour to learn more about its fascinating history.
Events in Newlands
Newlands is also home to a variety of different events throughout the year. From music festivals to sporting events, there is always something happening in this vibrant suburb. Here are some of the top events that you can look forward to when you visit the area:
- Cape Town International Jazz Festival – The Cape Town International Jazz Festival is one of the most popular music festivals in South Africa. It takes place every year in March and features some of the best jazz musicians from around the world. The festival attracts thousands of visitors and is a highlight of the Newlands events calendar.
- Newlands Spring Market – The Newlands Spring Market is a popular event that takes place every year in September. It is a celebration of springtime and all things local. You can expect to find a variety of stalls selling handmade crafts, artisanal foods, and local produce. There are also live performances, activities for kids, and plenty of opportunities to mingle with the locals.
Address: ERF46604 Boundary Rd, Newlands, Cape Town, 7700
- Newlands Rugby Stadium – Newlands Rugby Stadium is another famous sporting landmark in the area. It is the home ground of the Stormers, one of the most successful rugby teams in South Africa. The stadium hosts several matches throughout the year, including international fixtures and local derbies.
Address: ERF153664 Boundary Rd, Newlands, Cape Town, 7700
Phone: 021 659 4600
- Newlands Brewery Tour – The Newlands Brewery is one of the oldest breweries in South Africa and is a popular destination for beer lovers. You can take a guided tour of the brewery to learn more about the brewing process and sample some of the local beers.
Address: 3 Main Rd, Newlands, Cape Town, 7700
Phone: 021 658 7440
- Newlands Village Market – The Newlands Village Market is a weekly event that takes place every Saturday. It is a community market that showcases the work of local artisans and designers. You can browse the various stalls selling everything from jewellery to clothing, and sample some of the local foods.
Address: ERF46604 Boundary Rd, Newlands, Cape Town, 7700
Newlands is a suburb that truly has something for everyone. Whether you’re a nature lover, a sports fan, a foodie, or a culture vulture, there is something in this suburb that will appeal to you. Its rich history, stunning attractions, and vibrant events make it a must-visit destination for anyone travelling to Cape Town. So next time you’re in the area, be sure to take some time to explore the beauty of this beautiful suburb.
Experience the Nearby Vineyards
Want to enjoy a glass of wine while taking in the extraordinary vineyards that Newlands has to offer? The Vineyard Hotel offers the entire Newlands experience while enjoying luxurious food and spa treatment. Click here to find out more about this unique destination.