Durbanville Hills Winery is a South African winery located in Cape Town, South Africa. Established in 1998, the winery is situated in the Tygerberg Hills, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, with panoramic views of Table Mountain, Robben Island, and Table Bay. It is part of the Durbanville Wine Valley, a region renowned for producing exceptional wines due to its unique terroir and cool maritime climate.
Table of Contents
History of Durbanville Hills Winery
Durbanville Hills Winery was established in 1998 as a joint venture between seven grape farmers and Distell, a leading producer and marketer of wines, spirits, and ciders. The winery was designed to be a world-class producer of premium wines that reflect the unique terroir and climate of the Durbanville Wine Valley.
The winery’s first vintage was produced in 2000, and since then, it has gained recognition for producing exceptional wines that have won numerous awards and accolades. Today, Durbanville Hills Winery is one of the leading wineries in South Africa, producing a range of high-quality wines that are sold both locally and internationally.
Durbanville also has some of the finest restaurants in Cape Town.
Durbanville Hills Winery is committed to producing wines that reflect the unique terroir and climate of the Durbanville Wine Valley. The winery’s winemaking philosophy is based on the following principles:
- Site Selection: Durbanville Hills Winery carefully selects its vineyards based on their location, altitude, and soil type to ensure that the grapes are of the highest quality.
- Sustainable Viticulture: The winery is committed to sustainable viticulture practices that minimize the impact on the environment and promote biodiversity.
- Minimal Intervention: Durbanville Hills Winery believes in minimal intervention winemaking, allowing the natural flavours and aromas of the grapes to shine through.
- Blending: The winery is known for its exceptional blends, combining different grape varietals to create complex and nuanced wines.
- Ageing: Durbanville Hills Winery ages its wines in French oak barrels to add depth, complexity, and texture to the wines.
Durbanville Hills Winery has 9 vineyards located in the Durbanville Wine Valley, covering a total area of 315 hectares. The vineyards are located at different altitudes and have varying soil types, which contribute to the diversity and complexity of the wines produced.
The winery’s vineyards are planted with a range of grape varietals, including Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Shiraz. The grapes are handpicked and sorted before being transported to the winery for processing.
Durbanville Hills Winery produces a range of high-quality wines that reflect the unique terroir and climate of the Durbanville Wine Valley. The winery’s wines are sold both locally and internationally and have won numerous awards and accolades.
The winery’s wine portfolio includes the following wines:
- Sauvignon Blanc: Durbanville Hills Sauvignon Blanc is a crisp and refreshing wine that is characterized by its citrus and tropical fruit flavours.
- Chardonnay: Durbanville Hills Chardonnay is a rich and creamy wine that is characterized by its peach, apricot, and vanilla flavours.
- Chenin Blanc: Durbanville Hills Chenin Blanc is a fresh and fruity wine that is characterized by its apple, pear, and honey flavours.
- Merlot: Durbanville Hills Merlot is a smooth and elegant wine that is characterized by its red fruit flavours and soft tannins.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Durbanville Hills Cabernet Sauvignon is a full-bodied wine that is characterized by its black currant, cedar, and tobacco flavours.
- Shiraz: Durbanville Hills Shiraz is a spicy and full-bodied wine that is characterized by its blackberry, pepper, and clove flavours.
- Rhône-style Red Blend: Durbanville Hills Rhône-style Red Blend is a rich and complex wine that combines Shiraz, Mourvèdre, and Viognier to create a wine with notes of black fruit, spice, and floral aromas.
- Pinotage: Durbanville Hills Pinotage is a uniquely South African varietal that is characterized by its dark fruit, coffee, and chocolate flavours.
- Sparkling Wine: Durbanville Hills Sparkling Wine is a refreshing and crisp wine that is perfect for celebrations or as an aperitif.
- Dessert Wine: Durbanville Hills Dessert Wine is a sweet and luscious wine that is perfect for pairing with dessert or as a digestif.
Durbanville Hills Winery has a modern and stylish tasting room that offers panoramic views of the vineyards and the Atlantic Ocean. The tasting room is open seven days a week, and visitors can taste a selection of the winery’s wines while enjoying the stunning views.
The tasting room also offers a range of wine and food pairings, including cheese platters and chocolate truffles, which complement the flavours and aromas of the wines. Visitors can also book a cellar tour, which includes a behind-the-scenes look at the winemaking process and a tasting of the winery’s premium wines.
Durbanville Hills Winery is a world-class producer of premium wines that reflect the unique terroir and climate of the Durbanville Wine Valley. The winery’s commitment to sustainable viticulture, minimal intervention winemaking, and blending has resulted in a range of high-quality wines that have won numerous awards and accolades.
Visitors to the winery can enjoy a tasting of the winery’s wines while taking in the stunning views of the vineyards and the Atlantic Ocean. The tasting room also offers a range of wine and food pairings, which complement the flavours and aromas of the wines. Whether you’re a wine enthusiast or just looking for a memorable experience, a visit to Durbanville Hills Winery is a must-do when in Cape Town.